Labels

Friday 23 September 2011

Rationale Workshop: September 23

Today we carried on from the previous workshop and took the time to really craft an appropriate rationale or 'umbrella statement'. At first I intended to use the phrase 'a subject driven investigation into promotional print and packaging with a focus on colour and composition', however I soon realised it wasn't quite appropriate. It became obvious the statement itself was a way of avoiding clear and concise terminology, because when asked what 'subject driven' meant I could not provide a specific answer. So I revised the original rationale and came to the conclusion I needed something that was both vague in parts, so as not to confine me creatively, but also specific enough so as not to confuse an outsider, not versed in my design process. The image to the left shows the exact statement I settled on.


"A PRINT BASED INVESTIGATION INTO POPULAR CULTURE 
WITH A FOCUS ON PACKAGING AND PROMOTION"

This is obviously something I will be referring back to over the duration of the next year, and will constantly have to ask myself if it is still appropriate? Do the briefs in my portfolio fit within these constraints? Or have I completely changed direction? At this point in time I don't know the answers to these questions. I will just have to wait and see, and make note if I seem to be veering off. I will also have to consider being more specific with the term 'popular culture', after it came to my attention I tend to pick subject matters that are not so 'popular' but instead more of a 'cult' persuasion. It's clear in my head what I mean, and what I want to create over the next year. Now I just have to communicate that successfully to my peers.

For the rest of the session we had to discuss the briefs that we wish to take forward for our Design Practice. Out of the ten I had composed over the summer there were a few that stood out to me still. For example I would really like to undertake a brief based on the films of Pedro Almodovar. I feel it would greatly benefit my dissertation and keep me motivated throughout the entire duration of the module. However after being informed that the name 'Pedro Almodovar' was not a well known one, and that it does not fit within the realms of pop culture I began to doubt my intentions. Then I realised I am not personally responsible for the interests of others and came to the conclusion Almodovar is an incredibly influential director and, if his work interests me and others then there is in fact an audience for my intended product. The other brief choices have yet to be made and will be something to consider in the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment