Labels

Thursday 22 September 2011

Studio Workshop: September 22

Today was the first real day back in the studio. We were presented with the idea of communicating our aspirations for the year ahead of us. We were told to do this through the use of large pieces of A2 paper and simply writing down what we were thinking. The first task we where set was to split our page in half and state what we want to 'do' and what we want to 'achieve'. At first I thought these two strands were pretty similar but after thinking about it briefly I began to realise they where really different.

The image to the left shows what I assigned to each column, with key entries in the 'do' column being: screenprinting, use of colour and freelance work, and key entries in the 'achieve' column being confidence, communication and working to a professional standard.

The second task we where told to undertake was to split the page into three and accommodate each column one of the following three headings: themes, contexts or products. I found this particular objective easy to complete, probably because I feel confident in the direction I wish to take  my work in the third year. I filled the themes and products columns speedily, although hesitated slightly over the 'contexts'. Nevertheless I managed to note down key terms that will prove useful in the near future. It is obvious that I will be using these pieces of paper as references to inform my level 06 work.

With our last piece of A2 we had to make the distinction between what we 'want' to do and what we 'need' to do. This again wasn't as easy as I thought, but after completing the task came to the conclusion that everything I 'want' to do is in fact essential and needs to be done as well. The images show what each individual column featured on each piece of A2.

Left; task one
Below, l-r; task two, task three



We where then asked to create five statements that best represent our intentions for the last year of the course. We where assigned a template to use so that the task didn't seem so daunting, and all we had to do was allocate our preferred subjects/methods of production/tone of voice etc. in the appropriate position. Below are the range of statements I noted down, some a lot more successful at communicating my intentions than others. The one particular statement that I feel works the best at this specific moment in time has to be: 'A subject driven investigation into promotional print and packaging with a focus on colour and composition'. Whether or not this statement will alter in the near future is yet to be seen. 



Brief: “Our goal was to capture the raw immediacy of SNL’s writing process and live performances, which we achieved through hand-drawn illustrations of legendary characters and catchphrases. The package also communicates the fun of playing the game itself, which combines trivia, improv, and quick-fire team play.”

This is what I want to be doing. The subject matter, the production methods, even the bold use of colour. I wish I had created something as beautiful and intelligent as this.







No comments:

Post a Comment